Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Fat & pushin' 40. Time to get fit!

In an effort to clean out a stack of old magazines in my home office, I spent the better part of the last two days flipping through a foot tall stack of old issues of various magazines. In Self magazine I read about a woman who had a quadruple bypass. She worked out every day. She was 37. In Woman's Day I read about a woman who was discovered to have blocked arteries. She was 34.

Today I'm 36, 37 in a few months. Hardly pushing 40, but as Sally cried about in the movie When Harry Met Sally, "it's out there!" Up until now when I read magazine or internet articles about heart health or diabetes or breast cancer or many other health concerns, in the back of my mind I was thinking "you have years before that is even an issue for you." Well guess what? The people that are having these health concerns are in some cases younger than me! My days of playing ostrich (head in the sand) about my health is over, baby. It's over now!

It would seem the best panacea for nearly everything is exercise, weight loss and accountability. For exercise I have to bite the bullet and just do it. Sound easy? Oh no, it will also suck big time. :) The weight loss part will come as a result of the exercise and staying on my low-carb regime. At least that is what "they" say.

The accountability? This is it. I will be posting my progress, and the occasional backslides, as I go. It will take some time, but eventually my fat fabulous self is going to be fit and even more fabulous (if that is possible).

No comments: