Thursday, February 15, 2007

Temporary chocolate insanity

Last night (Valentine's Day) there were chocolates in my house. They were not necessarily invited guests, but they were there nevertheless. After going out to a big dinner somehow the thought 'you know what would taste good on top of too much oily and salty chinese food? Something with sugar' went through my head. At the time it seemed reasonable, I swear. So instead of making myself busy with something else, I proceeded to eat about five See's chocolates. Granted I only ate half of a few of those (which might not count, I'm not positive).

For someone who rarely eats anything sugary these days, I had an instant sugar buzz. However, what was really pronounced was my complete loss of focus. Each evening I spend 30 minutes reading with my stepson. He reads his book and I catch up on my reading. Last night after my sugar gluttony, I read exactly 4 pages in 30 minutes. And I kept re-reading the same paragraphs over and over, while not remembering or comprehending anything. Then as I came further down off my chocolate-induced temporary insanity, I became sleepy and irritated.

They say if sugar was released onto the market today, it would be labeled a drug by the FDA. I'd have to agree. It should come with a warning label.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there, Sugar Plump Fairy,

I heard about you from my blogging buddy Jimmy Moore.

Sorry I don't know your name, but I feel for you and your Valentine's Day "sugar gluttony." Ah yes, the "brain fog" that can hit you after indulging in sweets is so darn annoying!

This sounds so familiar -- being able to read only 4 pages in 30 minutes and "re-reading the same paragraphs over and over, while not remembering or comprehending anything." And, yes, sleepiness and irritation are other symptoms people typically mention.

So, Sugar Plump Fairy (Jane? Nancy? Mary? A first name would be nice), I invite you to join my kick-sugar circle and let me help you.

First off, you can buy my recently published book SUGAR SHOCK! (Berkley Books).

Then, you can visit my SUGAR SHOCK! Blog and also join my free, online KickSugar group. I also have teleseminars that may be able to help you, too.

Anyhow, welcome to the blogging world.

I do hope that you're now feeling better and that you've been able to take your weak sugar moment and use it as a valuable learning experience. (Certainly sounds like you did that by blogging about it. Hurrah for you.)

All the best.

Connie
Author, SUGAR SHOCK!
www.SugarShockBlog.com